Monday, July 12, 2010

Don't you have to be like a Yoga master or something to become a teacher?

I hope not, because that does not describe me! When I hear "yoga master" I think of the the gurus of India who are wise beyond comprehension, flexible as any circus contortionist, with the strength of  a strongman competitor. I might even conjure up an image something like this:

Will that ever be me? Unlikely, though my possibilities, I believe, are unbounded.

Here are the qualities I believe are needed, and indeed I expect, in a yoga teacher:
  • A passion for yoga
  • The desire to explore and expand yourself spiritually
  • The ability to give clear, precise and accurate instructions
  • The capability to give appropriate and safe adjustments
  • A willingness to prod students to see yoga as more than just asanas (poses), and to inspire further exploration.

What do you expect from your yoga instructors?

7 comments:

  1. This is a great list! I don't think great yoga teachers need to be crazy flexible yoga masters.

    I would also add that I expect my yoga teacher to be able to provide appropriate modifications and pose alternatives if my body isn't ready or isn't built to do a pose with the right alignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @DEL Exactly! I think that is the most important part of the education involved in a teacher training, and why I would not attend a class taught by an un-certified teacher (and yes, they exist!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree too. I'm a teacher and I do not consider myself a master. But I think the most important goal of the teacher is to inspire student to lean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Southside Thank you, that sounds like a great one to add to my list! I checked out your website, I actually grew up in Gainesville, not too far from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first teacher is enlightened I have realized. When she does reiki during shavasana on you its unbelievable. recently she was gone on a medical leave. I went to 5 different yoga classes thinking it would be the same.
    I have gotten good exercise instruction I go away feeling disappointed. They say if you aren't doing the breathing you aren't doing Yoga. My opinion is if you are doing the spirtual part you aren't doing Yoga.You are doing Yoga exercise.If I had never gone to the first yoga teacher I would have probably not continued. She is coming back to class Monday and she has many groupies because of her touch.
    I think some want to be politically correct and they leave out that piece, its what it is,body mind and spirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Karen Thanks for your comment! There is certainly a spiritual aspect to yoga that should not be neglected. Reiki itself is not necessarily that piece for some, though perhaps it is for others. But I definitly know what you mean, when you are used to that post-class attunement and it doesn't happen, it can be a let-down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same as the Hippocrartic oath. First, do no harm.

    ReplyDelete