Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Light Bulb

Something I have been doing over this past week has suddenly clicked inside of me. A light bulb has gone off...


I went out of town for a few days and ate at restaurants more often than I usually do. It was incredibly easy to order tasty and filling dishes that were also vegetarian! I had a bite here and there of my boyfriend's meat-filled dishes, just to see if I was missing out on anything special.

One night during this vacation, I was reading some stuff online about yogis and vegetarianism and one swami wrote that by eating meat, you are turning your body into a graveyard for the flesh of those animals. I'm pretty sure I had read this before, but this particular time that I read it, the idea settled into my brain for the night and grew in there while I slept.

The next day I honestly could not stand the thought of eating meat. I felt sick just thinking about all of the meat that I have eaten in my life and (I know, this is gross!) all of the animal flesh that had rotted away in my stomach and intestines, turning gross and toxic. Sorry if that yucks anyone out.

So I think I have now officially moved on from dabbling here and there with vegetarianism (as chronicled over at Veggies. You Know You Love 'Em!), to a full-fledged effort to eradicate meat-eating from my life. Now, I'm not saying that I foolishly believe that I will never have cravings for meat again, or that my opinions could never be swayed back in the other direction! I am a growing and changing human being who cannot commit to a life-long particular way of thinking. By right now, right here, I have (at least momentarily) crossed over to the other side.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberley, I came across your blog a few days ago and I love it! I think is very brave what you are doing, I hope to do the teacher training course myself one day, which is why i'm finding your story so fascinating.
    I'm vegetarian too - I have been since I was a child, for me I have a natural aversion to meat, I've never been able to stand the thought of eating meat, all the politics sort of came after, reafrirmed my decision and gave me something to identify with. I've always found it difficult to have that "why are you vegetarian" conversation people always seem to want to have an arguement about why its "ok" to eat meat. I've come across a lot of predujice and have been pushed into a sterotype. I've never been a preacher, I respect other people choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jayney Thank you so much for that! I think there is definitely some fear and some Ego involved for me with not wanting to become THAT person, that vegetarian who thinks they know better than others.

    ReplyDelete