Saturday, July 10, 2010

Seeking the Change

A quick explanation of the name of this blog... (Please read my previous post for an introduction)

A well known and popular quotation of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi,

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world".

Ghandi was, of course, the pioneer of resisting tyranny through mass civil disobedience, a principle developed from the limb Yama of the eight-limbed yoga tree. Yama are the ethical aims we should try to live by, including  Ahimsa or non-violence.

This blog centers around the idea of change. My desire for change has been a driving force in my life for some time. Mukunda Stiles stated that yoga is indeed alchemy. The self transforms into the Self. The word yoga itself means "yolking" or union of the self to the true Self.

In the yoga culture, the true Self or Supreme Self is often represented by the image of a swan. Everyone knows the story of The Ugly Duckling, right?

A homely duckling born in a barnyard transforms into a graceful and beautiful swan to the surprise of himself and others around him:
Guess what is hiding inside of all of us, just waiting to be discovered so that it can take flight?

So, in other words, here is the change/liberation that I am seeking!:

What change are you seeking?

2 comments:

  1. Hey love. I'm not only super excited that you are continuing to follow this dream of yours, but even more so that you are deciding to share the journey through your words to all of us. I always felt (even as a little girl) that I could relate to the ugly duckling story; ever changing, ever evolving, and always expanding in knowledge, love, and life itself. Keep up the good work and enjoy the new endeavors. All my love and best of luck~ Keep us posted! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @KellyBrett Thanks Kel, I'm glad to hear that you can identify with this. And that you're interested to hear what I have to say!

    ReplyDelete