Saturday, July 10, 2010

Lemme introduce you to crazy idea I had awhile back...

So it has now been 6 (six!) years since college graduation, and since the start of what I thought would be an exciting and adventurous life.  Oh, the plans I had made for myself at that time! Traveling and exploring the world, meeting fascinating people, and hoping to make a difference in the lives of the people I served in my work. The dreams of any inspired youth... Blame this guy:

Fast forward through six years of struggles with finances, busted romances, bosses I wanted to strangle (some co-workers who I wanted to strangle even more), adventures in anti-depressants, one move across the country, and here I am: sitting at my work computer 8 hours a day, churning out stacks of government paperwork and feeling over-worked, underpaid and under appreciated. Did I mention the hour-long, mind-numbing, life-sucking commute through greater Boston? I have become the average yuppie (Young Urban Professional for those of you that missed the 80's) that I never wanted to become!

Don't get me wrong, there have been a smattering of good times and good things happen to me. I have had some incredible friends, with whom I have had some incredible times. The music festivals and concerts, restaurants and favorite bars, mountain climbing and beach dozing, discovering and practicing yoga have all certainly brought a level of sanity to my life. And for most people, those smatterings are what get them through at the end of the day. But for me it has never been enough.

Yogic philosophy speaks of an inner longing for freedom inside all of us. The problem in life is that we tend to seek the desires and wishes that we think will bring us happiness, when it is freedom from those desires and wishes only that can bring us the permanent happiness that comes with true liberation.

So here I am about to quit my job, in the middle of the biggest and scariest recession of my lifetime, to seek that true liberation! I am deepening my yoga study and practice, and I will be attending a Yoga Teacher Training later this summer. I hope that this blog will be a place where I can share that adventure with you. I'm sure there will be a lot of new things that I will learn that I will want to share with you along with the many new successes and failures that I am bound to encounter!

2 comments:

  1. Did you hear about the guy who bought a hotdog from a Zen hotdog vendor? The guy said, "make me one with everything." The guy then paid with a twenty dollar bill, and waited for his change. When it became obvious that the vendor was not tending to his overage, the guy said, "hey, what about my change?" To which the Zen vendor replied, "ah yes, change...comes from within." May your change (already well under way) bring lightness of being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @frigate1 I chuckled. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete