Monday, July 26, 2010

A space for at-home yoga practice

While studio yoga practice can be wonderful, and even necessary for some, I was reminded the other day that your studio practice is just "practice" for your at-home practice.

My apartment right now is carpeted and I have been doing my asana practice in my linoleum floored kitchen, after moving all the chairs out of the way, locking up the cats (who are wicked distracting anytime I lay out my mat; yoga seems to equal kitty playtime!) and sweeping up all the food crumbs. In other words, it hasn't been a great space, but it has done the job.

I signed the lease for my new apartment today and...drum roll please...meet my new home yoga space!!

Why yes, that is a spare bedroom with hardwood floors and plenty of sunlight!


I am excited to turn this into a space that works for me and my practice. It also may serve me well for teaching private yoga lessons after my training is complete. There actually would be enough room for two or even three students at a time, I think.

Don't forget to read about my vegetarian explorations over at Veggies, You Know You Love 'em!

How do you make your home yoga space work for you?

4 comments:

  1. This is not a yoga directed question, but did you get your own place or did you and Jess find a new place together. The space looks perfect for your practice! Very excited for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Together!!! sillyhead, I would have told you if some drama had gone down. I am excited, this apartment has so much more space and it is in a better neighborhood, and we have a yard and a balcony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The space looks lovely! I've converted 3/4 of my garage into my yoga space- it doesn't have any natural light and there is a sheet hanging to hide the lawn mower and storage shelves but it works. My favorite part is that it is separate from the house so I'm not distracted by dogs, tv, or husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @DEL I think getting away from the distractions is key, epecially if you have pets or live with someone. Really the natural light and pretty floors are just a plus that make me smile.

    ReplyDelete